Cruising the South Pacific with Tackless II
Tackless II, along with her two captains, Don and Gwen, cruise from Fiji to Australia
Saturday, May 3, 2008
On the ground, running!
Considering we have barely been back 24 hours, a lot has been happening. We hardly had our suitcases aboard when the Travelift came and hoisted us out of the pit (and more importantly out from under the tree we didn't want to under in the first place!) to jackstands in the main part of the yard. This morning the guys are already at work on the bottom, which is looking pretty dry!

On the ground we met another cruiser with his boat on the hard who had worked a MOST ATTRACTIVE DEAL at the resort next door. In a small building that used to be the dive shop (from our first visit here three years ago!),First Landing Resort has created four small rooms with bath, fridge, coffeepot and AIRCONDITIONING that they are renting to people in the yard for very cheap weekly rate. It even comes with breakfast! It is less than 100 feet from the boat! Such a deal. So we moved our clothes right back off again. Man did we get a good night sleep last night.

At 5 am when we were up considering the world this morning, we discussed whether our decision not to paint Tackless, made in the gloom of US market worries might have been a bad call. The Fiji dollar has only gained 3 cents on its old exchange rate against the US dollar, and things will never be cheaper anywhere down the road. Business is slow in the yard and willie says he can paint the whole boat in three weeks! Even using the "boatyard factor" and doubing that time, makes very feasible. and our old girl sure needs it!

Then Jim, the guy who hooked us up with the room deal also has a day worker David he uses outside Willie's guys for other jobs. David makes $8F an hour. That's about $5.50! Jim will be leaving in ten days, so we can inherit David after that. Since the painters are working on Jim's boat today, we have David today starting on cleaning Don's tools which have molded and rusted. My job will be to get the galley back in working order so we can eat at least some meals aboard, and then start from the aft cabin and work forward cleaning. Oh joy. But I have an airconditioned room to retreat to in the heat of the afternoon to catch up on my column, a deadline for which is coming up fast. Gotta get ahead, and this will be a good time to do it.

This e-mail was delivered via satellite phone using GMN's XGate software.
Please be kind and keep your replies short.

Labels: , ,

For older posts, see the Posts by Date
or Posts by Topic links in the upper left!
For our Australia posts starting in late 2008 see
Australia Blog